Director of Community Development - Burnsville, MN
City of Burnsville, MN
Burnsville, MN United States
Burnsville, MN (pop. 63,417) seeks progressive, collaborative, and innovative candidates for its next Director of Community Development to join us in creating a vibrant community, designing places and growth that enhance our community for years to come. The Community Development Director leads and develops a team of people who implement high-profile development and redevelopment projects, working collaboratively with community members, businesses, and developers.
Burnsville is a dynamic and diverse community located in the Minneapolis-St. Paul MSA Located at the intersection of I-35W and I-35E, Burnsville is a gateway to the Twin Cities offering diverse housing, excellent schools and outstanding recreational amenities that serve as regional attractions. The city is fully developed with a variety of housing stock, including new developments of multi-family units and senior housing. The city currently has nine active Tax Increment Financing (or TIF) districts and has recently established two new pilot programs to support housing rehabilitation, maintenance, and reinvestment. The city is undertaking a comprehensive review and update of its housing, building and property maintenance codes.
The following education, experience, leadership, and management criteria have been identified by the City of Burnsville as important skills and abilities for the successful candidate to possess.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, urban studies, or public administration.
- Five years of progressively responsible leadership in community development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A pro-active communicative, team-oriented, and inclusive management style.
- Experienced with economic development and/or redevelopment including the use of public incentives.
- Knowledgeable in land use planning, zoning, code enforcement, inspections, and housing programs.
- A tactful and diplomatic communicator.
- An emotionally intelligent leader, able to build rapport and trust with many different individuals and groups.
- A strong collaborator, able to build support for projects and initiatives.
- A willing partner with the city’s council, executive team, and department directors to proactively find solutions that will allow for a high level of service across the organization.
- A willing coach and mentor committed to staff development and growth.
- A creative leader, with a track record of innovation and success.
The City of Burnsville offers a progressive and collaborative culture. Individuals must be committed to a welcoming and inclusive approach to problem solving and service delivery.
The starting salary range is $136,181- $169,842 DOQ, with a comprehensive benefits package, including the opportunity to work a partially remote or hybrid schedule.
The position will remain open until filled with the first review of resumes to begin July 8, 2022. Candidates should apply with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 224-282-8314. The City of Burnsville, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.