Director of Community Development - City of Oakdale
City of Oakdale
Oakdale, MN United States
Oakdale, MN (pop. 28,315) seeks progressive, professional and highly collaborative candidates for its next Director of Community Development. The Director of Community Development oversees long range planning, economic development, environmental planning and neighborhood and housing services. The city is also incorporating building inspections, code enforcement and permitting into the department. The next Community Development Director will have the opportunity to build a collaborative team that supports the city’s mission and vision.
Conveniently located along I-94 and I-694, the City of Oakdale is a vibrant and growing suburban community within in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan Area. Located minutes from downtown St. Paul in Washington County, Oakdale prides itself on its neighborhoods and community parks.
Oakdale expects significant residential and commercial growth projected to increase the population by 20% over the next five years. The development includes over 1,400 housing units for the Willowbrooke development, a 208-acre site near the center of the city. The city will benefit from the Gateway Corridor Goldline Bus Rapid Transit system, a $420 million, nine-mile dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line that will connect St. Paul, Maplewood, Landfall, Oakdale and Woodbury along Interstate 94. Transit Oriented Development is planned for the Helmo station included 118,000 square feet of office space, 30,000 square feet of retail and services, as well as a 150-space park and ride and over 700 housing units.
Oakdale’s easy access to major interstates makes for an attractive and diverse business climate. The city is home to upscale business centers and industrial parks that support health care, manufacturing, technology and finance and the corporate headquarters for Slumberland and Park Tool World. The city has a strong mix of retail, residential and commercial development.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATION CRITERIA
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, urban studies, community development or a related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Five years of supervisory or leadership experience.
- Strong finance and budgeting skills. Including familiarity with public financing tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A pro-active communicative, team-oriented, and approachable management style.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A team player capable of advocating for department needs, but also understanding of the need to support the mission and team of the whole organization.
- An inclusive manager willing to consider ideas and input from a variety of stakeholders.
- A skilled project manager able to oversee complex initiatives and ensure project completion.
- Able to build and maintain strong partnerships and relationships with diverse stakeholders and build consensus.
- Committed to customer service and community engagement, highly responsive and responsible to community concerns, needs and inquiries.
- A willing and skilled mentor able to develop the team.
- Knowledgeable in land use planning, zoning, permitting and inspections.
- Experienced and skilled in economic development with a demonstrated understanding of financing tools and options.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The 2021 salary range is $116,072 to $144,206 DOQ. The city is also conducting a comprehensive class and compensation study. The City of Oakdale offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply online by October 8,, 2021, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references at www.GovHRJobs.com to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 224-282-8314. Interviews with the City of Oakdale are anticipated in early November. The City of Oakdale, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click Here to Apply