Deputy Director of Planning and Economic Development
City of Saint Paul
Saint Paul, MN United States
To be considered, you must apply no later than August 16, 2021 4:30 PM CST. This position is open until filled.
General Duty Statement
Please review the Deputy Director Position Profile (Download PDF reader) for additional information about this position.
This position serves as the administrative and operations manager for the department, including direct supervision of staff responsible for the accounting, real estate/loan servicing, federal grants management, human resources, and public relations/communications functions for the department. Strong knowledge and experience in these areas is required. Other key functions of the position include assisting in the preparation of the annual department budget, providing leadership over business process improvement and workflow management, records and file retention/compliance, and evaluation and selection of technology tools. In the Director’s absence, the Deputy Director represents the department in meetings with City staff, Council Members, and external partners.
Equity and Inclusion
The City of Saint Paul's mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
A Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Economics, Finance, Real Estate, Marketing, Public Administration, Business Administration, Management, or a closely-related field. Six years of progressively responsible administrative experience in urban planning and design, economic development, housing, and/or real estate financing and development. Two years of the experience in a managerial role planning organizational strategies, supervising employees, and leading complex projects.
A Master's or advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
By Closing Date, you MUST
- Submit a City of Saint Paul online application.
- Upload the following required documents via the online application system. You will not be able to submit your application without these documents attached. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10MB.)
- A legible copy of your cover letter, and
- A legible copy of your resume
Selection Process Information
This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. This is an UNCLASSIFIED position and is therefore not governed by City Civil Service Rules.
Final Selection Process: A Hiring Manager will consider applications. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary is negotiable based on experience and qualifications. The upper end of the salary range for this position is $144,000. The City of Saint Paul has an outstanding benefits package, including:
• Medical Insurance - Premium fully paid for employee, significant contribution for family coverage
• Dental Insurance - Available at cost
• Life Insurance – Premium fully paid for employee, coverage equaling 1½ times employee’s annual salary
• Short and Long-Term Disability insurance –Premium fully paid for individual employees.
• Pension - City contribution to MN Public Employee Retirement Association.
• Deferred Compensation –Access to deferred compensation program (similar to a 401k) with employer match
• Vacation - Accrued at 17 - 29 days per year, based on years of service
• Other Leave – 10 paid holidays and 6 days of personal leave per year
Condition of Employment: This position will require a background check which may include criminal history, employment history, credit check, and proof of education as a condition of employment. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Department Contact Information:
Kate Moen, Human Resources Consultant
City of Saint Paul – Planning & Economic Development Department
25 W. 4th Street, Suite 1400
Saint Paul, MN 55102
To refer back to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
Veteran's Preference: If you are a veteran and would like to receive Veteran's preference in accordance with MN Statute 197.455, you must submit a photocopy of your DD214 preferably at time of application. Click here for more information.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.